BN to censure Anwar over ‘One Israel’ jibe
The federal government will move a motion to refer Opposition Leader Anwar Ibrahim to the Special Rights and Privileges Committee over his claim that 1Malaysia is linked to ‘One Israel’.
Minister in charge of Parliamentary affairs Nazri Abdul Aziz (left) told a press conference today at the Parliament lobby that the motion against Anwar, who represents Permatang Pauh, will be tabled during the ongoing sitting.
“After listening to Permatang Pauh’s explanation speech, we find that he failed to furnish firm evidence that proves 1Malaysia was copied form ‘One Israel’.
“All he did were to say that Apco were used by dictators,” said Nazri, in reference to Anwar’s explanation on Tuesday.
The Padang Rengas parliamentarian added that he will submit a notice to the Speaker of the Dewan to table the motion against Anwar on behalf of the government.
“However this is up to the Speaker to decide if the matter is of public interest and should be tabled immediately.
Met after the press conference by Malaysiakini, Nazri clarified that he will only deliver the letter to notify the Speaker on Monday and it will take seven days for the matter to be considered.
“I am not sure when, but probably (the motion will be tabled) on Apr 22.”
Nazri explained that the powerful parliamentary committee is headed by the Speaker, comprising representatives from BN components as well as three from Pakatan, one each from PAS, DAP and PKR.
Quizzed on what would happen if the opposition boycotted the sitting of the committee, Nazri shrugged it off as inconsequential.
“It has happened before, when Puchong MP Gobind Singh Deo was brought before same committee.They boycotted the sitting.
“But their absence will not matter.The committee will still proceed.”
The opposition has long felt that parliamentary disciplinary actions are one-sided and with heavy bias, leading them to boycott Gobind’s hearing last time.
‘Given a warning or suspended’
Nazri said that the motion once tabled will be debated in the House and if after voting on it, the motion passes, the Rights and Privileges committee will sit to discuss Anwar’s offense and decide on a suitable punishment.
“He can be given a stern warning or suspended from the Dewan.”
After the committee has come up with its recommendation, a motion will then be put before the house based on those recommendations to act against Anwar, Nazri added.
Anwar got into hot soup with BN for alleging that 1Malaysia was a concept that Najib borrowed from ‘One Israel’ promoted by the Israeli government under former Premier Ehud Barak.
He was taken to task by Abdul Rahman Dahlan (BN-Kota Belud) under standing order 36(12), for misleading the Dewan.
Nazri on behalf of the government, then stood up and said that Anwar, who was not in the Dewan, should be allowed to explain within a week. Deputy Speaker Ronald Kiandee agreed.
Anwar had replied to this on Tuesday in the Dewan. Nazri’s announcement came after the government had mulled it over.
However, the opposition has cried foul over what they deem to be double standard, for Premier Najib Razak has gotten off without having to give an explanation over another 36 (12) call, this time from Salahuddin Ayub (PAS Kubang Krian).
Norizan Salleh, a 30-year-old single mother who was mistakenly shot five times by police officers last year, finally got her wish to take her grouses to Home Minister Hishammuddin Hussein.
Norizan (right in photo) plans to sue the police force for the serious injuries inflicted by the gunshots when she was travelling in a car with friends on Oct 30, 2009.
She had earlier sought a meeting with the minister to hand over a protest memorandum, but this was turned down.
Accompanied by her lawyer N Surendran, Norizan spoke to Hishammuddin in his office in Parliament for about 10 minutes demanding for justice over the ordeal she had suffered.
During her visit at about 10.20 am, Norizan handed a memorandum to Hishammuddin demanding an investigation against the police officers who shot her.
Hishammuddin did not comment on the matter but a statement was read to reporters by his parliamentary secretary, Markiman Kobiran, said that he will look into the matter and get feedback from the police.
The home minister had told Parliament last month that the Attorney-General’s Chambers found no reason to pursue the matter.
“The case has been investigated under Section 307 of the Penal Code for attempted murder. The investigation papers have been sent to the deputy public prosecutor who decided not to take any further action on the case.”
‘Gun pointed at me’
Prior to her meeting, Norizan told reporters that she has no criminal record and criticised the police for their “brutal” treatment and for refusing to foot her RM18,000 medical bill.
Recalling the Oct 30 incident, Norizan said she was seated at the back of a vehicle along the Middle Right Road II in Gombak when a police patrol car rode abreast.
She said when she turned to look at the patrol car, she saw a police personnel pointing a gun at her and she immediately ducked. A hail of gunfire followed.
“When we pulled over and I realised I had been shot. The most serious wounds were to my right arm which was shattered by two bullets while another was lodged in the middle of my chest, narrowly missing my heart.”
Two more bullets had grazed her arm and torso.
When her vehicle came to a stop, Norizan said she crawled out of the car and she was kicked and stomped on by a police personnel. She claimed that they were from the Sentul district police headquarters.
She later learned from the police personnel that the car she was traveling in was reported stolen in Alor Setar, Kedah.
Following this, Norizan was at the Kuala Lumpur general hospital and National Heart Institute for 12 days where she underwent numerous surgeries to remove the bullets.
She claims that she was told by hospital staff that the police had classified her case as a road accident.
‘They were unarmed’
Previous news reports said the car was fitted with a false registration plate and had dangerous weapons such as axes, machetes, knives, falsified road tax stickers and several car keys were found in the vehicle.
The male suspects in the vehicle were later charged in court for the possession of dangerous weapons, obstructing the police from carrying out their duties and failing to produce their identity cards.
Norizan and another female occupant are witnesses in the case.
She has since approached the Bukit Aman Police Headquarters, human rights commision (Suhakam) and MCA complaints’ bureau to demand justice and compensation to no avail.
Surendran said his client has no other recourse than to sue the police for damages and to ensure that they be punished for the incident.
“(Imagine) our shock and disappointment despite clear evidence of wrongdoings… the home minister said that the police acted properly,” said Surendran.
He added that laws are clear that police can only shoot if there indication of actual danger to them.
“But these were unarmed people… what’s the justification? It’s a false story by the police, they said they acted in self-defence and said that her car was trying to ram theirs.
“But I can provide evidence because their car was fired on from the back… how could they say they were trying to ram the police while the shots were fired from the back?” he asked.
Minister shows no remorse
Parliamentarians Tian Chua (PKR – Batu), Charles Santiago (DAP – Klang), S Manikavasagam (PKR – Kapar) and Zuraidah Kamaruddin (PKR – Ampang) also lashed out at the authorities for their indifference.
“The minister did not take any responsibility (and has) no remorse. I hope this is not an isolated cause because there have been many times concerning police abuse of power and violence,” said Chua.
Zuraidah, on the other hand, praised the Selangor government, which donated RM10,000 to Norizan for her medical expenses.
Santiago added that it is appalling that the government had turned its back on Norizan and others who had suffered at the hands of the authorities.
“She needs justice. Set up inquiry and ensure the culprits face the music,” he said.